Dorset Road Infant School
Pupils and staff of Dorset Road Infant School have been temporarily relocated to Castlecombe Primary School. To contact Dorset Road Reception, please call the number for Castlecombe Primary School - 0208 857 1504.
Dorset Road is a one form entry infant school in the London Borough of Bromley. At Dorset Road Infant School our children have positive attitudes to learning, high standards of behaviour and excellent attainment across the curriculum. The school has supportive parents, carers and local committee members alongside inspiring, skilled teachers and excellent support staff. Pupils are provided with appropriate academic challenges and the breadth and quality of education beyond the core subjects is excellent.
School Closures - stuck for ideas? We are here to help!
Parents; we appreciate that these are uncertain times and many children’s routines will now be disrupted as they begin daily lives at home with you. Whilst children are away from school, you may have concerns about their learning, or keeping them occupied over the days and weeks to come.
School will be sending home work packs for w/c 23rd March and w/c 30th March.
Please see below some of our ideas, and links to useful resources during the time the schools are closed!
- Twinkl are offering free parent resources during this time: https://www.twinkl.co.uk/
- BBC Bitesize have learning resources for KS1 and KS2: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/primary
- Joe Wicks is providing free PE sessions every day at 9am on his YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAxW1XT0iEJo0TYlRfn6rYQ
- Literacy trust is providing guidance for simple activities that will engage your children at home, while also benefiting their reading, writing and language development: https://literacytrust.org.uk/family-zone/?mc_cid=1a89f05f20&mc_eid=1c40182e46
- Oxford Owl provide free books online: https://home.oxfordowl.co.uk/books/free-ebooks/
- Top Marks have some great maths games to make learning fun: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
- Real PE are offering home PE classes: https://vimeo.com/398010428
- Guided relaxation for children: https://youtu.be/Dvb-4RpJYBQ
Maths around the house
Measure items around the house, weigh items around the house to describe them as less or more heavy. Counting and sums can be made fun with items around the house – buttons, coins, dried foods. If you have stairs, use them as a times table ladder – climb a step for each sum!
Ask your child to write a story on a stimulus; a view, a picture of a person, something they are interested in. Help them with spelling and grammar, suggest new words. Include drawings for a creative flair.
Baking a cake
Whilst making a cake you can teach your child about measurements, create café menus, use money to play cafés whilst incorporating addition and subtraction.
Gather items from your garden (leaves, pine cones, stones, twigs). If you have access to paint you can use these for printing the different textures onto paper, your child could also draw these objects, or catalogue them, describing their properties.
Arts & Crafts
If your resources are limited, repurpose cardboard boxes and the like for a recycled art project!
Set up an assault course, or a rotating station of different exercises to keep things interesting!
- Dorset Road Infant School
- Dorset Road
- SE9 4QX
- 0208 857 3742